Coffee is one of the most famous beverages in the world, as it is the most consumed and recognized drink. This aromatic beverage is manufactured from roasted seeds or beans. Historically, coffee plants are native to the subtropical regions of Africa and Asia, but now Central and South America are leading the cultivation process in the world. There are different types of coffee beans that come in sizes, shapes, colors, and flavors that depend on the region and cultivation process.
The different types of coffee beans bring unique flavors and aromas. Robusta (Coffee canephora), Arabica (Coffee arabica), Excelsa, and Coffee Kopi Luwak (defecated by the Asian palm civet). There are other beans also, and it is impossible for a person to taste them all in his lifetime.
Among all these types, Kopi Luwak is the most expensive yet famous and unique coffee. It is famous for its origin and publicity from media outlets and movies. It is also famously known as cat-poop coffee or civet coffee. But what precisely is a Kopi Luwak coffee? This blog will help you know about the unique coffee bean in detail.
What is Kopi Luwak Coffee?
Kopi Luwak is a unique coffee drink. The uniqueness of the coffee comes from the way it is produced. It is made from coffee beans that the Asian palm civet eats. After the civet excretes the beans, the process of making coffee begins. It is widely believed that the enzymatic process in the civet’s digestive system improves the coffee’s flavor. Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam are among the top manufacturers of these types of coffee.
How is Kopi Luwak Processed and Produced?
The coffee comes from beans passed through the digestion system of Asian palm civets (Paradoxurus Hermaphroditus). The name of this coffee is derived from the beans’ process while inside the civet. In Indonesia, coffee is known as Kopi, and the Asian palm civet is known as Luwak. Coffee cherries are a vital part of the wild civet’s natural diet. The civets eat cherries that are ripest that make a great-tasting coffee.
The kopi coffee beans pass through the digestive system defecating in clumps as the civets cannot digest the coffee beans inside the coffee cherries. The outer layers of the coffee cherry fruit are digested by the civet’s stomach acid and enzymes. This layer gets fermented during excretion. This process gives Kopi Luwak its unique flavor.
The protein structure of the beans inside the civet’s gastrointestinal tract breaks and alters during the enzymatic process. The changes in protein structure make the coffee less bitter as proteins are responsible for the coffee bitterness. The increased demand and popularity of Kopi Luwak gave birth to this new industry that made farms keep Asian palm civets for coffee-making.
The Process of Making Kopi Luwak :
The process’s first and most crucial step is to feed the civet coffee cherries. The civet defecated the cherry beans after a day and a half consuming them. Then the feces are collected by workers, who process them all to get the beans. Before preparing beams for the roasting process, the beans went through meticulous sorting, cleaning, washing, and drying. These roasted beans can be sold to consumers to make a rich taste of coffee. It is claimed that the smoothness and rich taste of the drink comes as it passes through the civet’s intestines. It is one of the most expensive types of coffee.
Where is Kopi Luwak Produced?
The world’s largest producer of Kopi Luwak is the island of Sumatra. The primary producers of Kopi Luwak are Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam islands, and they produce around 500–700 kg (1100 – 1500 lbs) annually. The coffee goes by many names in the regions, including the following:
- Kape motit in Cordillera
- Kapé alamíd in Tagalog-speaking areas
- Kapé melô or kapé musang in Mindanao
- Kahawa kubing in the Sulu Archipelago.
Why Is Kopi Luwak The Most Expensive Coffee In The World?
The cost of the Kopi Luwak is high primarily due to its manufacturing process as it comes from the civet’s digestion system. The high demand, quality, and limited quantities of coffee make it the rarest and most expensive coffee worldwide.
The Health Benefits of Luwak Coffee
- Safe Coffee for the Stomach: Kopi Luwak coffee is known to be less bitter than any other coffee in the world. The low acid content makes it less sour, and it is the safest option for people with ulcers; your ulcer will feel less irritating while drinking it.
- Improve Cardiovascular Health: Coffee is one drink that is loaded with antioxidants. The chromogenic antioxidant acid can improve our cardiovascular health. The coffee is said to prevent issues like joint pain and cramps. It is recommended to consume this coffee to get these benefits.
- Maintain Heart Health: You can drink this coffee to maintain the health of the most vital organ. Kopi Luwak prevents arterial damage and protects the heart muscle space. It helps in reducing the risk of heart diseases such as hypertension, blood clots, heart attacks, and heart failure. It helps in maintaining low-cholesterol levels.
- Suitable for Diabetics: The coffee works like a blessing for people with diabetes as it helps control blood sugar levels in people. It brings the risk of having diabetes by nearly 50%. There is no sugar requirement in a cup of Luwak coffee.
- Source of Antioxidants: The coffee does not only come with a unique flavor but also has a massive amount of antioxidants. These antioxidants protect the human body from free radicals. It also prevents oxidative stress and inflammation. A regular cup of Kopi Luwak helps avoid atherosclerosis, cancer, and arthritis.
- Enhanced Body Stamina: Malic acid is one of the civet coffee’s primary components that help boost stamina. It also energizes your body rapidly. The best time to drink this coffee is after strenuous exercise, which will enhance muscle pain and fatigue tolerance.
- For Nerve Health: The antioxidants have lots of benefits for our body. These antioxidants can reduce the risk of inflammation-related cell damage that directly prevents Alzheimer’s disease. Coffee is said to have positive effects in preventing neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s.
There are many places where you can purchase the Kopi Luwak for sale. But always remember to buy them from the most reputable and trustworthy place. As for storing the coffee, you can store the coffee in a cool and dry place. Do not put it in direct sunlight.